Friday 5 June 2009

Bee teaching for kids

It's been a great bee experience week. During lunchtimes this week I've been up at Perivale Wood teaching kids about bees. It's a rather long story how it all happened: Wigmore Hall classical music people had decided their funding pitch to get music into schools needed spicing up so partnered with Ealing Beekeepers. Not an obvious match, for sure, but the result was great: five lots of 2 hour sessions with groups of up to 30 kids going round Perivale Woods and learning a little about bees. Parties split into 3 groups and I was stationed at the wild tree colony doing my talk to each of the groups in turn. Sure, I've only just started out as a beekeeper myself, but I think I managed to hold my own against most of the 10 year olds. I really enjoyed it, and not least because I got some good vibes from some excited kids, and also got some very positive direct feedback from the other beekeepers there: thanks guys, it was great to hear the feedback. And lovely too to see the Wood - a wonderful and very extensive nature reserve. I'm looking forward to the classical music concert at Wigmore Hall in a few weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment