Saturday 30 May 2009

Another swarm, not mine

Margaret gave me a lift to the Ealing Apiary for another practical session today. As we got out of thte car we were greeted by a junior beekeeper who is also a local allotment holder. She had a swarm in the allotment and needed us to collect it. It was probably from the apiary, we guessed. Great! - a swarm for me - how lucky! But no, whilst this lady had not got a current colony nor anything to wear to collect the bees, she did have a hive and was asking us to collect the swarm for her. Drat. It was still a lot of fun though. Quite an easy one: hanging on a bush only about 6 feet off the floor. I had to prune back quite a bit of bramble to get there, but once that and a few branches were gone, it was a simple shake of the tree to get the swarm into the box which Margaret held waiting. Job done, and good luck to another new beekeeper. But not me....I am still living in hope, and am getting stupidly impatient. I keep telling myself that it's reasonable to have to wait for such things, but I am so very keen to get cracking on having my first colony.

No comments:

Post a Comment