Wednesday 24 June 2009

Hive building and good-bye bees

I managed to knock together most of my new hive today. Brood box (tick), super (tick), second super (tick), floor (tick), roof (tick), 11 frames for the brood box (tick). Let me tell you: that's a LOT of nails. In fact I'll tell you how many.......errrrr....(*thinks) 48 per box and 11 per frame and say, dunno, 19 for the floor, and, errrrr....., 60 for the roof (yes really) so that's (*opens Excel).....that's 344 nails in total with another 20 frames (for the supers) still to do which is another 220 nails. That all gives a total of 564 in a hive. My arm hurts.

The swarm on the big tree in the communal garden left today. I'd checked it shortly before lunch and it was still there and looked pretty calm. I went in to make myself a sandwich and came back and they had gone! Little tykes. I have no idea where they went. I got straight on my bike and went round the local streets with my eyes looking up, but saw nothing. Good-bye bees. And good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment