Monday 2 November 2009

Naming the hives

An extremely important winter beekeeping task I've set myself is to come up for better tags from my hives than "hive1" and "hive2". I'd like something interesting and original, but also something with at least a tiny bit of relevance and rationale. For example, the beekeeper I met recently at RHS Wisley calls each of his hives after a different English queen (Victoria, Elizabeth, Boudicea, and so on).

I'm interested in any suggestions I can lay my hands on. Thinking caps on, please!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kenzie. Thanks for all the updates on your hives. Sounds like everything is looking good for the winter and that you've been keeping busy doing bee related activities.

    One of my favorite beekeeping books is Natural Beekeeping by Ross Conrad. You might like it.

    I named my hives in honor of my grandfather, Walter, and my grandmother, Ora. My grandfather was the single most influential person in my life as I was growing up and is the reason I love gardening and beekeeping as I do. I hope to have 2 more hives in the spring and one will be Savanna, my 2 year old granddaughter who is already quite comfortable around the hives, but am not sure about the other. I have something in mind, but will wait to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post! I too have thought about naming my hive(s) since I'll have more than one this coming year, and its going to be difficult to go with "my first hive" or so-forth. I like Lynn's idea of family members, and naming them after queens is great too. I think naming mine after US Presidents would be too boring so I'll have to be creative. Good luck with the names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hhmmm, thanks, yes I'd like to push the chat further . . . will post from of your comments direct onto the blog and consolidate for further chat. . .

    ReplyDelete