Monday 16 November 2009

All quiet

I took advantage of a slight break in the weather (14 degrees C, and sunny) to go on site and check the hives. What greated me should be no surprise I suppose, but I was sad not to be able to see more. No bees were out flying at all. I did see a few wasps snuffling around, but even they seemed to have largely lost interest. Since the holes in my crown-boards are covered with mesh, I took the liberty of removing the hive roofs and peering though the mesh. In both hives, numerous bees were slowly milling around in a very torporous state. I quickly shut them up and left, being left with the realisation that it's a long time till March.

4 comments:

  1. I learned last winter that you must have faith to be a beekeeper. My Walter colony was so small that I never thought it would survive. The bees proved me wrong. Walter thrived and was very productive this past summer. I do agree, though, it's a long time till March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenzie: You're like me, my friend, I want to see something going on when I peep inside. I fed mine at 10:30 at night, this was the other night -- and believe me, they came out to see what all that noise was. And I didn't have my veil on so I made the visit VERY short, lol. But by day, they're flying all around. Just think though, March is a mere four months down the road, not far at all. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - you climate is probably that bit more hospitable than my own. There is still heat in the sun on occasions but never enough to bring the girls out. Our local association beeks speak about leaving the hive alone until late April or even May but that may be our location. Incidentally, during the last couple of years, April and May have probably been the warmest and driest months. BTW, just noticed the photo of your first ever jar. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, bee peeps.
    Merry Christmas to one and all, and best luck for your bees over the winter (for those in the Northern hemisphere, that is).

    ReplyDelete