Thursday 7 May 2009

A site for bees

Great news!
I've recently been doing some nature conservation volunteer work with the BTCV, and today we were working on a site where bees were kept many years ago. I'd already mentioned to the group leader that I was keen on investigating opportunities to keep bees on a site in the area and this one looks perfect. It's in Maida Vale, only about half a mile from my house. It's lovely, with a tranquil pond and a monsterously beautiful copper beech in the middle dominating proceedings. It's designated a Nature Reserve, though the site is rarely every opened. And it's quite overgrown and overhung by trees. Whilst this is not necessarily great for the bees and hives themselves, it makes the site quiet and discrete from neighbours. Now, why is this good news for me? Because I called the guy who manages the site and he's given me permission to keep bees there! WOOT. I've now got the hive and other gear on order and am ready to go. Ah.....apart from one important thing....my lack of bees. Such a shame I had to give that swarm away last week. I really hope I'll get the chance to take another. It's swarm season, so fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment