Tuesday 12 January 2010

Ted the Hoops - recommended book

I just finished reading Ted Hoopers "Guide to Bees and Honey". It's cover-boast is that it's "the world's best selling guide to beekeeping." I greatly enjoyed the book, and found it somewhat swift reading despite the way the facts, techniques and advice came thick and fast. It opens with a detailed look at bee anatomy, before moving on to many practical aspects of beekeeping. I'll definitely be keeping it for reference: the details of how to do an artificial swarm, and how to do a Bailey frame exchange are still just about with me, but some of the more intricate procedures of queen rearing and suchlike are tricky to retain in memory from one reading. I'd highly recommend the book. It's a book of "mainstream" beekeeping, though, with a definite focus on honey production and bee economics. For example, I didn't see a mention of a top-bar hive anywhere. This is probably just a product of its age and history: I read the latest/fourth edition which was first published in 1997. The author is a beekeeper from Essex (south-east England).
I'll need to ponder what I've read in this book as I move on in my beekeeping and try to progress from the "beginner" stage. It's obvious to me, though, that any amount of book reading and technical knowledge is likely to be of little use without a stack of practical, personal experience. I'm committed to keeping myself conscious of just how little of that experience I have, and to taking the time to speak with proper, grown-up beekeepers as opportunity allows.

Any book recommendations from readers would be greatfully received.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kenzie, yes, I like Hooper a lot. It's probably my favourite. I can recommend "Bees at the Bottom of the Garden" (don't have the author's name to hand). I also have Clive de Bruyn's "Practical Beekeeping", which has more technical content than the above. But it suffers from 1950's style b&w photos and a discursive style that is no help when you've got a lump of bees on the side of the hive and what you want is a quick answer. Steve.

    ReplyDelete