Tuesday 12 January 2010

Hive naming - the decision

Well, one of my less important winter beekeeping tasks was to name my hives, since "hive1" and "hive2" just doesn't cut it. I'll use the names in my records and on this blog. I'll make no apology for saying I've decided to steal the idea of Simon, the nice man who works at RHS Wisley and has a decent size apiary there and calls each of his hives by the name of a famous queen. Also, I've decided to name my hives with sequential starting letters of the alphabet.
If colonies die, or queens change, or boxes get chopped and changed I'll just keep the names as they are, and in fact over time I suspect the name will actually be seen to apply to the roof where I stick it! Anyhow, with no more further ado, I name my hives Amidala and Boudica.

No comments:

Post a Comment